What does a Fun For All Playground mean for you?
"The Fun For All Playground at Central Park will create a destination playground for persons of all abilities to serve the City of College Station and surrounding communities...Using nature-based themes, the playgroud will encourage exploration and learning of the natural world with age-appropriate challenges of all physical and cognitive abilities within this safe and family-friendly place."
I learned about this wonderful development at a luncheon where it was being introduced by several very excited sponsors. We were told to close our eyes and imagine a place where children of all ages and abilities were able to play together. A brother and sister are swinging side by side for the first time because of the wheel chair accessable swing set. A disabled child laughs as she goes down a specially designed accessable slide for the first time. Parents are relaxing while their children dance in and out of the water spewing from the splash pad. You can hear nature around you and your senses come alive with the different textures of grass, brick, pavement, water, and wood...
The Park's Goals and Objectives:
- Foster Child Development through play- Tie with nature, 3D play experiences, integrate learning with play.
- Create a Family-Friendly Destination- Provide activities, programs, facilities for all age groups and abilities.
- Provide Universal Access- Consider all equipment and facilities beyond ADA requirements.
- Create Park Identity- Provide programed activities in the playground, provide way-finding and donor info throughout the park.
- Ensure Safety and Security- High quality fencing, clear visual access, separate pedestrian and bicyclists from play areas.
- Apply Low Impact Development- Use native planting and stone materials, utilize existing pond as water irrigation resource.
The Fun For All Playground at Central Park is a joint collaboration between the City of College Station, area Rotary Clubs, area Lions Clubs, and local Kiwanis Club. This project is bringing all of the major service clubs together as they work toward design and construction of the first all-inclusive playground in the Brazos Valley.
I believe that this park will be a tremendous addition to our community! What will it mean to your family to have an All Access playground?
"Fun For All Playground BCS." Fun For All Playground BCS. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 May 2015.