Not all real estate practitioners are Realtors. The term Realtor is a registered trademark that identifies a real estate professional who is a member of the National Association of Realtors (NAR). Realtors subscribe to NARs strict Code of Ethics, so the next time someone you know is considering not using a Realtor, make sure they know that Realtors do a lot more than what meets the eye.
Here are five reasons why it is beneficial to have a Realtor on your side:
1. Realtors are guides and advice givers. When buying or selling real estate, there are a lot more documents out there than you think. Disclosure forms, inspection reports, mortgage documents, insurance policies, deeds and multi-page settlement statements. Without knowledge of these documents and when to use them, you are harming yourself. By using a knowledgeable expert, you can receive the best deal, avoid delays and avoid costly mistakes. Let your Realtor guide you through the process and give you advice along the way.
2. Realtors are investigators. Sometimes the perfect property is available but not actively advertised in the market, or maybe the listing has a small error in the details that could prevent it from popping up on your search. That is when Realtors pull out their spy glasses. Realtors have the ability to go behind the scenes and find properties that match your criteria. Many times the “right” properties are the ones you had no idea about.
3. Realtors are great negotiators. There are many negotiating factors, including but not limited to price, financing terms, date of possession and inclusion or exclusion of repairs, furnishings, or equipment. In addition, the purchase agreement should provide a period of time long enough for you to complete appropriate inspections and investigations of the property before you are bound to complete the purchase. Your agent can advise you as to which investigations and inspections are recommended or required.
4. Realtors have connections and power. Real estate does not sell due to advertising alone. In fact, a large share of real estate sales comes as the result of a practitioner’s contacts through previous clients, referrals, friends and family. When a property is marketed with the help of a Realtor, you do not have to allow strangers into your home. Your Realtor will generally prescreen and accompany qualified prospects through your property.
5. Realtors are therapists. A home often symbolizes family, rest, and security- it is not just four walls and a roof. Because of this, home buying and selling can be an emotional roller coaster. And for more people, buying a home is the biggest purchase they will ever make, Having a concerned, but objective, third party helps you stay focused on both the emotional and financial issues most important to you.