Have you ever driven up to a house and judged what it would look like on the inside according to it's outer appearances?
If you answered "yes" to this question you would not be in the minority. Most people form opinions about a property before they step inside based on it's curb appeal: the visual attractiveness of a house as seen from the street. Most buyers will drive past a property before asking their Realtor to schedule a showing...this means that your house needs to be in tip top shape inside and especially outside!
Tips to having a home with exceptional curb appeal:
- Power wash or paint the exterior of your house - You may not notice it now, but you would be surprised how much dirt and grime is on the exterior of your home! You will be shocked when you see how clean and crisp a power washed or painted section compares to an un touched section.
- Refresh mulch and landscaping - You can add a thin layer of fresh dark mulch to your flowerbeds for a tidy look. Bright flowers and plants provide a welcoming warm glow to your home.
- Cut back any trees or shrubs that are unruly - This is a big one! Shrubs and trees looming over and touching your home give off a dirty and dark feeling. Cutting them back to proper proportions will not only give the home a well cared for look, but will also let more light into the house making it show much better. Any trees/shrubs touching the house can lead damage from rubbing, pest infestations, or provide a "bridge" for squirrels and mice to get into your attic.
- Clear the driveway of any distractions - Keep garbage cans stored out of sight, power wash grease stains away, keep children's toys stored when not in use. Unclutter as much as possible!
- Update fixtures on porch/front door - Make sure that your fixtures are not out dated! Add lighting if needed by the door, you don't want your front entrance to appear dark. You can easily replace door handles or locks with nicer fixtures for a clean and updated look. Make sure that all door locks operate smoothly!
- Keep the lawn mowed and edged - You want your lawn to look very cared for and clean cut. A well cared for lawn compliments a house instead of distracting from it!